Sunday, June 1, 2008

Wrapping it Up



By Lisa Sisk

Wow. That’s a one-word definition of the 2008 Atlanta Public Relations Experience Maymester class. But there’s so much more to say!

Twenty-two delightful young adults agreed to join me in the Atlanta adventure and I am very grateful to each one of them for many reasons. They all embraced the experience fully, participating in discussions with our hosts, asking deep and intelligent questions, and reaffirming why I love teaching in the School of Journalism and Mass Communications.

As you’ve read, our days were packed with visits and long bus rides from one to the next. We awoke early and stayed up late, but I rarely heard complaints that they were tired or bored. You also have read about the bonding and friendships they formed during the class and on the trip. For me, watching that happen was remarkable. We all come from various backgrounds, but we became a family. I already miss spending time with them!

Special thanks are in order. Dr. Shirley Staples Carter, director of the SJMC, had the idea for such a class three years ago and asked me to develop it and teach it with two colleagues. They’ve both retired, but I’m still here! She has continually supported this endeavor. College of Mass Communications and Information Studies Dean Charles Bierbauer also is supportive and encouraging, and introduced me to some of his former CNN colleagues with whom we visited in Atlanta.

Beverly Dominick is the SJMC internship coordinator. She graciously agreed to come along on the trip. I could handle the two weeks in class, and I could even handle all the details that went into planning such a trip, but I didn’t think I could handle being the only “adult” on the trip! Thank you, Beverly, for helping me corral the students. Terry Dixon, director of development for the College, and Elaine Taylor, the College’s alumni relations director, planned a lovely reception for Atlanta-area alums and my students on Wednesday evening. Elaine stayed with us the rest of the trip; I hope she enjoyed the students’ company as much as they enjoyed hers.

Professor John Besley agreed to accompany us for most of our time in Atlanta. I think Dr. Besley’s perspective was invaluable and we truly appreciate his taking time away from his family to join us.

Darwin McCray of Southern Connections Tours was our chauffeur for our week in Atlanta. He was so professional, delivering us safely to each of our destinations in busy Atlanta traffic. The air conditioning failed on our way to Atlanta. Mr. McCray drove halfway back to Columbia on Memorial Day to meet another driver so he could exchange the bus for a cool one. We were thrilled that he could join us on some of our adventures to CNN. Turner Studios, the Carter Center, the King Center, the alumni reception and the Georgia Aquarium.

You may have noticed that a few students’ bylines are missing from our blog. Bill Lane coordinated the blogging effort, collected the entries from his classmates, edited where necessary and added some polish to the site. Natasha Hopkins was our official photographer and our unofficial tour guide. She’s from Atlanta, and added some interesting insight about the city. Jessica Woods and Derrick Sprankle are May 2008 SJMC graduates; although they didn’t need any more classes, they were eager for the experience. I’m glad they came with us.

I hope you enjoy reading our blog. Please feel free to make comments. We’d love to receive them! And check back soon, as we’ll be adding photographs and other content in the days to come.

No comments: